Cycling to School
Do your kids enjoy getting around under their own steam, riding with their friends, arriving at school ready to start their day? At Cycle Derby we really encourage suitably aged pupils to ride to school. Look at our tips and decide whether it's for you and your children.
- Ask if your school has a School Travel Plan and if it actively subscribes to it.
- Ask at school about cycle training. We offer FREE Bikeability (Cycling Proficiency for the 21st Century) training to every Year 6 pupil & in some cases Year 5's too.
- Work out the best way to get to school on your bike with the Derby Cycle Map or the Journey Planner!
- 80% of schools in Derby city have secure cycle parking, if yours hasn't ask why not?
- Join one of our many after school cycle clubs, or one of our local community clubs. Both Cycle Derby CC and Derby Mercury have regular junior coaching sessions or if you fancy it, Derby BMX club run two sessions a week.
- Cycle with confidence - be aware of other road users and make sure they can see you!
- Ask teachers about getting cycling on the curriculum, we provide a wide range of curriculum time activities.